Fire Protection Association Australia 03 8892 3131

Follow us: 

Member Login Connect

Halon Special Permit


Any person or company possessing halon, which is for use in fire protection equipment, must hold a Halon Special Permit (HSP). 


For example, even if there is an exemption for having halon in a fire protection system - as is the case in certain aviation, defence and maritime applications - the system owner still must possess a Halon Special Permit for any halon held and not fitted into the system approved under the general exemption in the Regulations. That is, if you hold 'top up' stocks of halon extinguishing agents you need to hold a Halon Special Permit to do so.


Under the regulations it is an offence of strict liability to possess halon without the appropriate permit. 


A HSP is valid for a maximum period of 12 months. 


How to apply for a Halon Special Permit


A Halon Special Permit may be granted by the Fire Protection Industry (ODS & SGG) Board where it is satisfied that:


  • the applicant is appropriately experienced and the use of the halon is to protect human life or operate equipment that is critical to the community.


  • there is no practicable and safe alternative available at reasonable cost.


To apply for a HSP an application form must be completed. To download an application form click here.


A Risk Management Plan must also be completed and submitted to the Fire Protection Industry (ODS & SGG) Board, as part of the application process. A HSP holder may also need to hold an Extinguishing Agent Trading Authorisation (EATA) if they trade in that halon.