Registration Types

In many cases, technicians working with fire protection, security and computer/data systems undertake cabling work which is behind a compliant device such as an alarm panel or model which isolates, to a certain extent, the system from the telecommunications network.


Under the licensing scheme which operated until October 2000, these technicians did not need to be registered. However, the law now requires that they fulfil the requirements of the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2014 (CPRs), which are regulated by the Australian Communications & Media Authority (ACMA).


Those registered under the previous Austel/ACA schemes must continue their registration.


There are three types of registration defined in the CPRs: Open, Restricted or Lift. If you wish to work in both commercial and domestic premises, you will require an Open registration. However, if you only want to work in domestic or small business premises, you will only require a Restricted registration. If you work in the lift industry, you will require a Lift registration.


In 2016, the Australian government approved changes to the Information & Communications Technology (ICT) training package.  However, the previous versions of various Telecommunications certificates are still being delivered by some Australian registered training organisations (RTOs).  Therefore, two versions of the ACMA pathways to registration are currently in effect:  2014 and 2016.  To view the pathways charts showing the required Units of Competency for registration, click on the relevant version:


1.  Open registration pathway:   2016 or 2019


2.  Restricted registration pathway: 2016 or 2019


3.  Lift registration pathway (This registration is an add-on to an Electrical qualification.):   2016 or 2019




Any type of cabling work (including aerial, underground, structured, fibre or coaxial cabling work on private or public property) in which the customer cabling that is used terminates at the network boundary on a socket, a network termination device or a distributor. This registration type allows a cabler to undertake all types of cabling work from simple cabling in homes to complex structured cabling in multi-storey buildings.


Examples of distributors:


1.   Building Distributor (formerly known as a Main Distribution Frame


2.   Campus Distributor.


Generally, open cabling work that terminates at distributors is used to connect devices for telecommunications (phones and facsimile), data including video and multimedia, security and alarms, and fire protection.


The full list of Open conditions is available in the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2014 (CPRs).





Restricted cabling work covers cabling work defined wholly in Scenario A or Scenario B below:


Scenario A (Typical domestic and small business premises):


  1. Termination is on a socket or network termination device.
  2. Where the electrical supply voltage does not exceed typical domestic single-phase and three-phase electrical supply voltages.
  3. Aerial, underground or broadband cabling work must be on private property.
  4. Aerial cabling must not use electricity distribution poles.


Scenario B (Work behind a compliant device in multi-storey or campus-style premises):


  1. Cabling work behind a compliant device (eg. alarm panel, modem, or customer switching system) where the compliant device is labelled in accordance with the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2014 (CPRs).


Generally, this type of customer cabling is used to connect devices for the following range of applications: telecommunications (phones, facsimile and answering machines), simple data and computer use, security alarm panels, and fire control panels.


The full list of Restricted conditions is available in the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2014 (CPRs).






Lift registrations are for telecommunications cabling in lifts or elevators.


The full set of conditions for all cabling registration types is available in the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2014 (CPRs).






This registration type expired on 3 October 2003.




Competencies (Endorsements)


For Cablers with an Open registration, there are often specialised industry-recognised requirements.  These requirements are met by undertaking the relevant Unit(s) of Competency.  Once obtained, the registrant should forward evidence of completion to the registrar so that the appropriate competency can be added to the registration card.


The legend below now appears on the back of cabling registration cards issued by FPA Australia.  The code for the specific competencies held by an individual cabler will appear on the front of the card.


U          Underground

A          Aerial

C          Coaxial

F          Optical Fibre

S          Structured

RB       Broadband (for Restricted cablers)



Click here to view a list of the competencies and their relevant Units of Competency: Version 2016 or Version 2019.



Applying for a Cabling Registration


To get more information about obtaining a cabling provider registration and to download an application form, click here.